The electric color of fall is indeed something to make New Englanders proud. For those New Englanders lucky enough to live in Old Saybrook CT, Essex CT, East Lyme CT, or anywhere within the triangle formed by these lovely destinations fall is a time that the bright red, yellows, and browns adorn the view. The vivid colors also cause New England homeowners and businesses to start landscaping with an eye toward winter and the advent of spring. Because the New England winters can be unpredictable both in length and severity extra care needs to be taken through the fall season.
• As lovely as the leaves are along Long Island Sound they still need to be removed from lawns. Removing the leaves now will allow the grass to thrive in the spring.
• Decisions about spring flowers should be made before visiting the local garden center to select fall blubs that are appropriate for the area.
• Give some thought to vegetable and flower beds before winter comes. Take some time to mulch to protect beds from whatever the New England winter may throw at them.
• Plan ahead for next spring to select locations for plants keeping in mind the salt and sand used on roads and driveways during the winter.
• Now is the time for the homeowner living in a heavily wooded area to check for any damaged or broken tree limbs that need to be removed.
• This is a great time to start compost to be used on all those spring beds.
• Fall is the perfect time to plant trees and flowering shrubs.
Engaging in fall lawn care can be an enjoyable activity for the entire family as the fall vegetables ripen, apples come into season, and the days become crisp. The task of removing fallen leaves, planting blubs, winterizing vegetable and flower beds, and planning for spring plantings can be time consuming and confusing for the new gardener. Be certain to check with local garden centers or gardening clubs for advice and information. Whether you live along the coast in Old Saybrook CT, up the river in Essex CT, or along Route 95 in East Lyme CT fall is an active (and beautiful) time for landscaping. For all your landscaping needs, call Colonel Landscaping today or visit our site at www.colonellandscaping.com